Monday, August 07, 2006

Book Me-Me

I am still here. I have all sorts of reasons for not posting, including the very logical (and, I'm guessing, somewhat familiar) reason that I haven't done anything, so I can't go back until I have something perfect. Yes. Well. Moving on.
Both ScienceWoman and post doc have honored me by tagging me for a meme. I always consider the first meme tag one's notice of arrival in the society, don't you? Oh, no? Hm. Clearly I am not yet versed...
Oh. The meme. Yes.
(No, wait. First: Don't y'all just love Arecibo? I adore it, for no very good reason. But it is so freakin' cool.)
Ahem.
1. One book that changed your life: See, this is the reason I didn't jump up and do this meme as soon as post doc tagged me. Because I can't think of a darn one that changed my life. If I could remember, it might be the first book I didn't read all the way through, whether I liked the thing or not. Or maybe not, because even though I finally let myself put a book that I didn't like down, I think it was more situational than book-related.
Or maybe I just really have a reeeeeeelly bad memory. Did I tell you the stories about my bad memory? Wait. I'm doing something, aren't I?
2. One book you have read more than once: Really? Just one? People read books only once? Maybe this one should be books I have only read once -- except I can't remember any of those (oh: maybe some of those romance novels, or the ones by Carol Goodman (although don't think I won't read her new one when my library gets it, oh no))...
I read most books more than once. Especially now, when everything makes me cranky, and I can only find comfort in repeats. No, really: I do know exactly how pathetic I sound.
3. One book you would want on a desert island: Well, I was going to go with a blank book (I'd finally have time to write my own Great American Novel, except it would be Desert-Islandian), until I read twf (who may have the best name ever, especially since I have no idea what it means) her answer, which is the Complete Novels of Jane Austen. Since she's one of my constant re-reads, I'm pretty sure I won't get bored with her as fast as with anyone else.
Er, "she" being JA, not twf. I'm sorry to admit I hadn't read twf until ScienceWoman linked to her.
4. One book that made you laugh: I like Jane Austen, honestly, and some of her writing I find amusing -- although it might not make me laugh. And P.G. Wodehouse is always good for a smile. But, laugh? Maybe there are some, somewhere, in the mists of my rotten memory, but right now, all I can think of are blogs.
5. One book that made you cry: Now, after all that hand-wringing about not remembering anything, you'd think I wouldn't have an answer for this one, wouldn't you. And yet I remember it like it was yesterday -- better, probably. Bridge to Terabithia. I read it on a vacation with my parents, and I finished it while they were taking a nap, and my dad was mad at me for crying for some reason (he's a crusty, cranky person, and that is not as mean a response as it sounds), and my mother wanted to know what was wrong, and I didn't want to tell them it was only a book. I can't read books that make me cry, anymore. It's one of the reasons I can't find any new, good fiction.
6. One book you wish had been written: I... don't know.
7. One book you wish had never been written: This was the third question that put me off. I mean, there's a whole bunch of books that I have the normal, liberal, knee-jerk reaction to, but I can't really condemn the authors or publishers for making the book, because I'm sure there are just as many liberal books about which conservatives feel the same way. On the other hand, twf had a really good answer to that one too: The Rules is just so... ooh!
8. One book you are currently reading: Josephine Tey's The Singing Sands. A re-read, for when I run out of New Yorkers. I don't leave much time for book reading.
9. One book you've been meaning to read: Well, there's a bunch for my work, but naming them would specify me a little too much. There's a couple of books for my crafting stuff that I'd like to have, but that's more as a library thing, not really a read. I'd like to read some more Michael Chabon; I loved Cavelier & Klay (even though I probably can't spell it). And I really want to read Finnegan's Wake. Silly, I know, but I read a quote of it once, just loved it, and wonder if I could stand hundreds of pages of sentences just like that one.
Okay! So I'll be gone again for the rest of the week, but I'm really (no, really!) going to try to come back regularly next week. No, really!

3 Comments:

Blogger post-doc said...

Yay for doing the meme! :) It actually was a rather tough one, I think.

While it would be wonderful to read you more often, there's no pressure to post more regularly. I'll sigh and say I understand you're likely busy. But when you do say something, I'll happily click over to read!

10:05 PM EDT  
Blogger Lucy said...

Oh, I cried so much reading Bridge to Terabithia! A friend told me the ending when I was halfway through, and I bore that grudge for a long time afterwards. I reread it recently and still sobbed all the way through it.

I haven't loved any of Michael Chabon's other books as much as Kavalier and Clay, but I still haven't read The Mysteries of Pittsburgh.

10:57 PM EDT  
Blogger ScienceWoman said...

It was a tough meme. I didn't like the first question either. I haven't read many of the books you mention, but I have been addicted to Jane Austen movies as of late, so I should probably give her books a try one of these days.

1:24 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home