Monday, December 04, 2006

Well, It's Progress. Maybe.

My out-of-control dreams involve driving a car in which the brakes don't work well. It's not that I can't stop the car, it's that I can't stop quickly enough; no matter how much I stomp on them, the car doesn't slow down fast enough.
Yes, my subconscious has all the subtlety of a neon sign on a brick wall.
Last night, the car's brakes worked just fine. Instead, I wasn't paying attention and "had" to pass a large vehicle by crossing a double yellow line*. I slowed down after that though.
At least the brakes were working properly.
Which means I'm in control.
I think.

Oddly, today I watched an SUV pass about 5 cars by crossing a double-yellow line, for almost the same reason as my dream: the traffic was too slow. Well, actually in real life traffic was stopped, but at least I come by the idea honestly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

I often have that dream where the brakes don't work (or work infinitely slowly), too! I'm glad yours were working last night :)

11:10 AM EST  
Blogger post-doc said...

I can't remember having a brake dream - now I feel left out. I'm always falling out of the sky in my dreams. I don't think that's good either. :)

2:45 PM EST  
Blogger ceresina said...

lucy -- it was quite a surprise. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who has those dreams!
katie -- I have falling dreams too, but they're really nightmares. The brake-dreams are just saddening & frustrating in comparison!

3:14 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home