Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Because I Can

A Music History Meme.

Note: "genre" refers to the marketing/mainstream-media label that would be assigned to the band, not the label (or lack of label) that real fans or the band itself would claim.

1. What's your earliest music memory?
I have a synesthetic memory associated with Brahms' Lullaby: I "taste" some sort of rubber, probably the toy that played that song when I was less than a year old. But I think the question is about more traditional memories. "Take you riding in the car car" sung by Woody Guthrie or "Little Boxes" sung by Pete Seeger.

2. What's the first pop song you remember hearing?
"Don't you want me baby" by the Human League. I was already old enough to go to sleep-away camp. My parents were big public radio listeners.

3. What's the first rock song you remember hearing?
I don't know, but I expect it was something traditional. My dad is a big fan of the Rolling Stones & Janis Joplin, so maybe one of them?

4. What's the first classical music piece you remember hearing?
Hm. First? Well, I adored the Pirates of Penzance by the time I was 5. Let's go with that.

5. What's the first piece/song you remember that doesn't fit into those genres?
Well, it'd probably be the folk songs from when I was a toddler.

6. What's the first album/cd you bought for yourself/you asked your parents to buy for you?
Probably Arena by Duran Duran

7. What's a favorite song from grade school?
Careless Whisper by Wham!

8. A song that reminds you of school dances?
Rock Lobster by the B52s

9. Which genre do you listen to most now? ("Most" can mean you have one more song in that genre than in any of the others)
Alternative.

10. Which favorite song/album/piece from your musical history are your readers least likely to know?
Equinoxe by Jean-Michel Jarre or Scenes by Michael Galasso. Of course, neither one is quite as obscure as an album called Cicada, the performer of which I cannot even find. (It's not the new one by the band Cicada; it's at least 20 years old.)

If I still have any readers, I tag you all. Leave me a comment so I can come see it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

K, I did it!

2:25 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home