Friday, June 08, 2007

Is It a Good Witch, or a Bad Witch?

The lead article on the CNN website right now is about a man who killed a teenager. It's an incredibly creepy story, and the man sounds -- well, I can't think of an accurate negative adjective. "All kinds of bad" is the best I can come up with.

But the blurb -- y'know, the one that is there to lure you into reading the article, so it gives the most lurid teasers it can? -- says that on his Facebook-or-similiar-social-network-hub website, the man calls himself a "sweet troubled soul."

Okay, so not a good phrase. But. But but. It's a line from (and possibly title to) a song.

Which is not, by the way, to say that the man is not horrifying. He is. He's depraved and what he did is abhorrent. I just don't think trite, adolescent-style "deepness" is profound evidence for it. I don't think it's evidence at all.

**ETA: the title doesn't refer to the person in question, it refers to pop culture. I'm not clear on how I meant it to refer, so I can't explain it.
I don't want anyone thinking I meant there was any question about someone doing something what he is accused of possibly being good.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate it when journalists miss stuff like that.

12:39 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home